Do you feel guilty in eating ice cream on a summer day, with chocolate toppings? Well, another option would be to consume rose pudding. This dessert originated from the Ottoman Empire and at present, it is primarily served in Istanbul. Outside Istanbul, the Ottoman cuisine is hardly practiced but if you want to prepare this special dessert, you can make one in your very own kitchen.
The correct term is actually rose water pudding, and locally it is called ‘su muhallebisi’. The reason why it is called as such is because milk is diluted in the same amount as water. However, most cooks today prefer using milk since it widely available. The dessert is lighter than panna cotta and other sweets. You will love the rose pudding especially when it is served cold.
Here is a simple recipe that you can follow if you want to make rose pudding:
|A Basic Rose Pudding Recipe|
- 3T cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 2T sugar
- Half a cup rosewater
- Once you’ve prepared all the ingredients, dilute the cornstarch in just the right amount of water and set it aside.
- Get a pan and start heating the milk.
- Gradually add the sugar, and then add the diluted cornstarch. You have to continuously stir the mixture until it thickens.
- Never leave the pan unattended because you will end up with an uneven mixture.
- You will need small bowls where you can put the mixture. Rinse the bowls with water and start pouring the mixture into it. Each pudding should be at least an inch thick.
- Leave the small bowls on the counter for a few minutes to an hour or until it cools.
- Once cooled, put in refrigerator and chill it for the next two hours.
Serving the pudding is very easy. Place the small slices of pudding onto plates, and add your toppings. In Istanbul, rose pudding is usually topped with lots of rosewater and powdered sugar.
Now, the recipe above is the most basic. Since the preferences of people tend to vary, you can add other ingredients into the pudding like cinnamon or mastic gum. For the toppings, you can try molasses, chocolate syrup, marmalade, or jams. As you can see, the pudding recipe does not require a lot of sugar. If you want a dessert with less sugar, you should try rose pudding. There are many toppings to choose from, and with unlimited choices, you can try experimenting until you find the one that best suits your taste buds.
A dessert should be delicious but you don’t have to overindulge on the sweets. The rose pudding is a great way to keep your body refreshed during the summer. You can create a rose pudding recipe that is rich in milk, together with your preferred toppings.
Shop for the required ingredients today and enjoy a cold pudding with your family or friends. Preparation is really easy, and will only take a few minutes. Follow the basic recipe, and incorporate some your preferred ingredients. Have a delightful dessert and enjoy the Ottoman cuisine!
Author Bio: Sunny is a part time chef and marketing lead. I enjoy cooking for friends and family at parties and family occasions.