I love stir fry. It’s about the most versatile dish I can think of. You can completely change the flavor with just a few ingredient changes.
Make a completely different sauce with three ingredients at any time. This vegan recipe has just cornstarch, soy sauce, salt and pepper for the sauce. How easy and you can change it up with some ginger.
The sky is the limit on ingredients. Instead of walnuts, add pecans or pinenuts. If you just can’t do without the meat then that’s easy to cut up and add. Just make sure you cook it first and set it aside while you cook the veggies. That’s the key to not having an over done stir fry.
Serve this over whole wheat noodles or brown rice. If you are going super low carb, then just have a big bowl of the veggies.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup mushrooms, such as fresh shitake, sliced
- 1 head of broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Seeds to garnish, such as sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a wok and sauté carrots and onions until almost tender.
- Add broccoli and walnuts and stir.
- Add 1 cup of broth and cook until veggies are tender.
- To thicken the sauce, add the dissolved cornstarch.
- Stir briefly, then add soy sauce, salt and pepper to your taste.
- Sprinkle with seeds of your choice and serve with whole-grain noodles.